IBM: Mobile, Cloud Apps Will Rule Developers' Worlds by 2015
A recent survey conducted by IBM developerWorks showed that developers believe mobile and cloud app development will dominate developers' lives by 2015.According to a recent IBM survey, developers and other IT professionals predict that mobile and cloud computing will emerge as the most in-demand platforms for software application development and IT delivery over the next five years. The 2010 IBM Tech Trends Survey, conducted online by IBM developerWorks, provides insight into the most significant enterprise technology and industry trends based on responses from 2,000 IT developers and specialists across 87 countries.
According to the survey, more than half of all IT professionals-55 percent-expect that mobile software application development for devices such as the iPhone and Android, and even tablet PCs like iPad and PlayBook, will surpass application development on all other traditional computing platforms by 2015.
- 91 percent anticipate cloud computing will overtake on-premises computing as the primary way organizations acquire IT over the next five years.
- Mobile and cloud computing are followed by social media, business analytics and industry-specific technologies as the hottest IT career opportunities beginning in 2011.
- 90 percent believe it is important to possess vertical industry-specific skills for their jobs, yet 63 percent admit they are lacking the industry knowledge needed to remain competitive.
- Telecommunications, financial services, health care, and energy and utilities rank as the top four industries in which respondents identify as having the greatest opportunity to expand their careers.
- New cloud computing resources including online workshops, skills tutorials, cloud computing technical resources and social networking tools that enable users to build online relationships, share content and grow a worldwide network of peers to drive innovation.
- Cloud Computing for Developers virtual events this October, with four dates when IT professionals can learn how to solve business and technical challenges in the cloud. Through real-world examples of specific challenges and solutions as well as live demos of techniques and products, attendees can learn more about how to use and build cloud-based applications such as platform as a service (PaaS) and infrastructure as a service (IaaS) using IBM and open technologies.
- An online Industry Resource Site that provides technical resources, collaboration forums, articles, podcasts and tutorials on key IBM and open technologies-based best practices in banking, energy and utilities, health care, government, and chemical and petroleum industries.
- Technical information on the IBM Industry Frameworks, a combination of software and hardware that bridges the gap between general-purpose middleware and industry-specific business applications to help organizations apply technology more easily to their unique industry.