VMware Zimbra Unifies Business Email, Voice, Texting in Cloud Beta Version
Zimbra Collaboration Server 8.0 unifies key business communication channels--email, messaging, calendaring, voice and collaboration workflow--into a single cloud-based service.VMware on July 11 launched a new beta version of its Zimbra enterprise email server that now goes far beyond email. Zimbra Collaboration Server 8.0 unifies key business communication channels--email, messaging, calendaring, voice and collaboration workflow--into a single cloud-based service.
Zimbra can be deployed in private, public or hybrid clouds. The open-source-based system currently has an installed base of about 250,000 enterprises worldwide that maintain more than 85 million paid mailboxes.
Robb said that Zimbra 8.0 is designed to fill all the gaps between conventional email business communication and social networking. "We absolutely believe that personal collaboration, which is email, calendaring and address book, needs to become a lot more social," Robb said. "Address books need to become aware of things like LinkedIn, calendars much more aware of group calendars, et cetera. "Complementing this is [VMware's] SocialCast, which is group collaboration, so you can get into projects in a more public way with large groups of people across an organization. That's when we transition customers into new forms of collaboration." Cisco Systems and VMware have integrated collaboration applications, such as Jabber and WebEx, into Zimbra 8.0 to bring together presence, instant messaging, voice and video, voice messaging, desktop sharing and conferencing into a consistent experience across PCs, Macs, tablets and smartphones. Canadian telco Mitel has optimized its IP voice system to run on Zimbra. Mitel and VMware have delivered virtualized voice apps to more than 2,000 Mitel clients, said Alan Zurakowski, director of business development and strategic alliances for Mitel. Feature Lineups
Key features of Zimbra 8.0 Unified Communications:
- Click-to-Call any phone number with call routing to device or soft phone.
- Visual Voicemail with inline playback, management, and MWI status update.
- Presence indication and launch of Click-to-Chat with Cisco Jabber integration.
- WebEx integration to schedule and launch Cisco WebEx sessions directly from Zimbra.
- Call history with placed, received and missed calls visible within Zimbra.
- Ability to extend or integrate other third-party UC solutions.
- Updated browser-based user interface featuring social conversation view.
- Auto-filtering of bulk and distribution lists.
- Expanded search capabilities, end-user managed distribution lists, shared tagging.
- Enterprise calendar that offers scheduling suggestions for complex meetings, smart views for managing multiple calendar.