Taneja talks about remote offices Taneja, who runs a national storage consultancy that bears his name, said that "lets face it, remote offices, are a bane for IT people. Theres a definite loss of control and security, applications run slower on WANs, you have a lot of duplicate equipment, network bandwidth costs are outrageous, there is often shoddy or inconsistent data protection between different offices, and theres always extra personnel costs."He pointed out these facts, based on his firms own research:
Taneja said that the entire country is moving to remote workplaces, making life tougher for IT managers and staff members.
- 60 percent of all data is generated outside of headquarters
- 75 percent of employees work outside a companys headquarters
- U.S. business now has surpassed 2 million remote offices
- globalization is adding to the pressure (languages, time zones, etc.)
- the India-China factor: Many companies have overseas call centers, manufacturing plants, and sales offices