The Real Culprit
The Real Culprit My E: drive is designated for video capture. After one session when the application refused to place the video there, I opened the drive on the desktop. The video file I had captured was there, but instead of being over a gigabyte (standard for 20 minutes of MPEG-2 8-bit video) it was only about 300MB. When I tried to access the file by double-clicking on it, the system locked up. I had to reboot. I did so and tried another file in the directory, and it opened. When I tried to open yet another one, the system locked again. I began to suspect that the problem was not with the software, but with one of my 100GB drives. I decided to run Windows built-in drive-testing tools to search for errors. After running for 10 minutes or so, the utility froze. I had to perform a hard reboot. I did this twice more, each time with the same frustrating result. I also tried to run the Windows start-up check-disk function (Windows will ask you if you want to run it on start-up, especially if there are processes running that Windows cant stop). That check-disk utility also froze after 5 percent of completion.
I realized that there was something seriously wrong with the drive. The good news was that I could still access most of my files. I began to move them from the E: drive to the D: drive for security purposes. I copied nearly all without incident, but about five failed, with cyclic redundancy error messages. These were the last few videos I had captured. I still had the burned DVDs, so I left this handful of files for dead and moved on.