Becoming a trusted eBay supplier is not an easy task, according to Strong. "It takes a long time for a company to prove itself enough for us to use them," Strong said. "There is a great deal of testing that goes on before we selected a vendor, for anything." The storage environment is modular in design, so to add incremental storage containers or servers is a merely difficultbut not dauntingexercise.eBay home-cooks some of its own software to use within its systemcustomized specifically for the online auction/sales environment and eBays unique business needs, Strong said. eBays structure is, according to Strong:
"However, we really hesitate to add new brands of software and hardware, if possible," Strong said. "Wed love to be in a position where everything appears homogenous, so that it minimizes the skill sets our engineers need."
- highly distributed
- the auction site is Java-based; the search infrastructure is written in C++
- have hundreds of developers, all working on the same code
- Centralized Application Logging, a scalable platform for logging fine-grained application information
- Global billing: real-time integration with a third-party package
- Business event streams: a unifying technology for efficient and reliable message queues. Cookie-cutter patterns are used within the system for optimal user experience
- Reliable multicast infrastructure: allows for distributed analysis of massive amounts of data and keeps the companys growing search infrastructure up to date.