Open

 
 
By Lisa Vaas  |  Posted 2004-04-14 Email Print this article Print
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


-sourcing clustering"> In essence, MySQL is taking technology that was developed in a closed, proprietary fashion at Ericsson and donating it into the open-source community under the companys dual license. That license stipulates that the softwares production version will be available in the third quarter at no cost under the free software/open source GNU GPL (General Public License) for open-source projects and also under a commercial license for software vendors and other commercial MySQL customers. The preview version is now available and can be downloaded at MySQLs site. Click here to read how MySQL has been tweaking its license to respond to complaints from independent software vendors. "Larry [Ellison, CEO of Oracle Corp.] has said that hes happy if 10 percent of his customers use clustering," Urlocker said. "Our objective is to bring it to the other 90 percent of the world."
Next page: Putting pressure on the big boys.


 
 
 
 
Lisa Vaas is News Editor/Operations for eWEEK.com and also serves as editor of the Database topic center. Since 1995, she has also been a Webcast news show anchorperson and a reporter covering the IT industry. She has focused on customer relationship management technology, IT salaries and careers, effects of the H1-B visa on the technology workforce, wireless technology, security, and, most recently, databases and the technologies that touch upon them. Her articles have appeared in eWEEK's print edition, on eWEEK.com, and in the startup IT magazine PC Connection. Prior to becoming a journalist, Vaas experienced an array of eye-opening careers, including driving a cab in Boston, photographing cranky babies in shopping malls, selling cameras, typography and computer training. She stopped a hair short of finishing an M.A. in English at the University of Massachusetts in Boston. She earned a B.S. in Communications from Emerson College. She runs two open-mic reading series in Boston and currently keeps bees in her home in Mashpee, Mass.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Submit a Comment

Loading Comments...
 
Manage your Newsletters: Login   Register My Newsletters























 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Rocket Fuel