Oracle 10g: Top Goodies and Gotchas
Database Center Editor Lisa Vaas spoke to Oracle guru Mike Ault to get a list of the top time-saving features of 10g, the top pitfalls to avoid and the top things it would be nice to see in the next iteration.Oracle 10g recently went under eWEEK Labs microscope and came out with flying colors, earning an Analysts Choice recommendation for its ability to take workload off the shoulders of DBAs. Thats no surprise. True, as Technical Analyst Michael Caton and Technology Editor Peter Coffee write in their wrap-up of the 10g tests, prospective users are finding that data-model consistency and application compatibility are still blocking the adoption of grid.
Click here for details on PeopleSofts, SAPs and Oracles rush to certify on 10g.
- AMM (Automatic Memory management). "Because DBAs spend a large amount of time monitoring and tuning the SGA areas in Oracle, AMM relieves them of a majority of this chore," Ault said.
- Automated diagnostics through ADDM ("Adam"). "This process collects the needed statistics, SQL statements and other required data to analyze performance bottlenecks and provide detailed recommendations to the DBA," he said. "In addition, ADDM can be used to do detailed analysis of SQL statements to develop a SQL profile that can be used to tune previously un-tunable SQL such as third-party application SQL."
- ASM (Automated Storage management). "This allows the DBA to set and forget datafile, redo log and other file areas," Ault said. "ASM provides for automated striping and mirroring as well as backup of Oracle-related files. ASM replaces more expensive disk management software (as related to Oracle data files)."
- Enterprise manager and Grid Control. "There are so many enhancements in EM that it is difficult to pinpoint one that really shines," Ault said. "However, the automation of backups via a simple point-and-click interface has to be right up there. In addition, the fully Web-compliant interface that allows a DBA to manage [his or her] environment from anywhere they have access to the Internet is also a great convenience.
- Improvements to the wait interface. This eliminates the need to dig for child wait information and the grouping of related waits by category, Ault said.