Wishing Wont Carry MySQL

 
 
By Lisa Vaas  |  Posted 2004-04-14 Email Print this article Print
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


Some look at MySQLs shared-nothing clustering as a viable enterprise-class feature. [Oracle CEO] Larry Ellison has said hed be happy if 10 percent of customers adopted clustering. MySQLs [vice president of marketing] Zak Urlocker has said hes happy to pick up the other 90 percent. Whats your response to that offer? There are many kinds of clustering, and clustering alone does not make a database successful. There are many limitations to the MySQL Cluster product. It is simply not a viable platform for most enterprise-class applications, as described above.
Customers dont actually require features, but solutions to various requirements like high availability, performance, ease of use, low cost of management, application development capabilities, etc. The MySQL product, with or without clustering, falls far short of meeting these needs for mainstream applications.
Oracle customers have spoken, with many purchasing our Real Application Clusters technology, resulting in an 86 percent growth rate in revenues for this product in the past year. This indicates that customers see real value in this product, and we can anticipate a much greater adoption over time than 10 percent. Unlike MySQL Cluster, which has no installed base and which does not run any packaged or commercial business processing applications, Oracle Real Application Clusters has been adopted by thousands of customers and leading independent software vendors. While Urlockers comment is cute, wishing wont make it so. MySQL, with or without clusters, is simply not a competitive product with Oracle or even with other mainstream database products.
Next page: MySQL will play in the SMB market, Jacobs predicts.


 
 
 
 
Lisa Vaas is News Editor/Operations for eWEEK.com and also serves as editor of the Database topic center. Since 1995, she has also been a Webcast news show anchorperson and a reporter covering the IT industry. She has focused on customer relationship management technology, IT salaries and careers, effects of the H1-B visa on the technology workforce, wireless technology, security, and, most recently, databases and the technologies that touch upon them. Her articles have appeared in eWEEK's print edition, on eWEEK.com, and in the startup IT magazine PC Connection. Prior to becoming a journalist, Vaas experienced an array of eye-opening careers, including driving a cab in Boston, photographing cranky babies in shopping malls, selling cameras, typography and computer training. She stopped a hair short of finishing an M.A. in English at the University of Massachusetts in Boston. She earned a B.S. in Communications from Emerson College. She runs two open-mic reading series in Boston and currently keeps bees in her home in Mashpee, Mass.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Submit a Comment

Loading Comments...
 
Manage your Newsletters: Login   Register My Newsletters























 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Rocket Fuel