Five More Points to Consider
Five more points to consider
6. Protect the other pieces of the messaging environment (that is, Exchange, Domino or GroupWise)? Evaluate the solution for end-to-end messaging protection, from the origination of the e-mail message in Exchange or Domino to the delivery of the message on the handheld through the BES. This ensures that even when mobile e-mail downtime is threatened by e-mail server failure, the implications can be avoided.
7. Restart failed services instead of failing over to the secondary server? To ensure continuous application availability, the solution should offer proactive resolution capabilities such as restarting services-which means the failover can be avoided, in turn providing an even better service-level agreement (SLA) achievement.
8. Monitor the overall health of the BES through proactive monitoring to ensure ongoing server reliability? You'll want to deploy a solution that conducts a full diagnosis on the server configuration environment and provides recommendations to ensure BES reliability. This will help you to anticipate any possible issue or situation that could result in downtime, saving you time, money and valuable resources in the end.
9. Be easy to maintain? This sounds like a given, but many HA and DR solutions are just the opposite and can require substantial IT resources. Look for a solution that requires minimal IT skills to manage and operate, that is fully automated, and gives IT administrators complete control and flexibility.
10. Require you to upgrade your existing BES server or re-architect your environment? Buyers, beware. Stay clear of any solution requiring this. You should be able to stay on your existing BES server platform, which will give you the stability you need to successfully run the solution.
It isn't easy riffling through the many HA/DR mobile offerings and weighing their pros and cons. However, with the right amount of due diligence-and the proper checklist of requirements-you'll be well on your way to making a sound decision for your organization. Good luck.
Andrew Barnes is Senior Vice President of Corporate Development for Neverfail. Andrew joined Neverfail in March 2007, bringing extensive experience in marketing, product management and pre-sales from his 25 years in the software industry. In this current role, Andrew is responsible for Neverfail's branding, marketing, product management and Web presence. Andrew most recently served as VP of Marketing for a European-based software company and has held a variety of senior positions with companies such as KVS, Sun and Platinum Technology.
Previously, Andrew worked as Global Director of Marketing for KVS Inc. where he was responsible for all aspects of marketing and grew the customer base tenfold until the company's acquisition by Veritas (now Symantec). Prior to KVS, Andrew was Northern Europe Marketing Manager for iPlanet and Product Marketing Manager for Forte Software (acquired by Sun Microsystems). In addition, Andrew served as the European Product Manager for Platinum Technology. He can be reached at ABarnes@neverfailgroup.com.