Evaluation Shortlist: Microsoft SCCM 2007
Almost every desktop management tool that can deploy Microsofts Windows XP is either already equipped to distribute Windows Vista or soon will be. In addition, new virtualization tools are being made available to IT managers that could significantly ease deployment issues. The drawback? These tools require heavy-duty computing power in the data center and can introduce some application latency. However, the benefits and risks are well-worth weighing. Following are some platforms to put on your evaluation shortlist when weighing the SCCM 2007 decision.
- CAs BDD (Business Desktop Deployment) Plus The CA-ification of Microsofts BDD tool
- Citrixs Desktop Server A new offering that deploys a Vista desktop to a thin client or PC
- LANDesks Management Suite Effectively combines inventory, OS and application deployment, and user state migration; new virtual capabilities are on the way
- ManageSofts Vista Management A bundle that combines three separate products into one: Compliance Manager, Deployment Manager and Windows Deployment
- Symantecs (Altiris) combo Multiple products provide Vista deployment along with so-called application virtualization tools akin to Citrixs
- Tivolis Provisioning Manager for OS Deployment A traditional image deployment system that can also use inventory information provided by other Tivoli components