Management Software to Distinguish Line
While x86 servers are a commodity in the IT market, Lenovo believes that it can help distinguish its ThinkServer line with new management software that will help SMBs with limited IT budgets set up, configure and update these systems. "ThinkServers are easy to install through Lenovo's ThinkServer EasySetup software, which gets servers provisioned fast," Tom Tobul, the executive director of Lenovo's Enterprise Business Unit, wrote in an e-mail to eWEEK.While saturated, the x86 server market is still worth billions of dollars in revenue each quarter for vendors. In the second quarter of 2008, the worldwide x86 server market topped $7.2 billion in revenue, an increase of 3.4 percent from the second quarter of 2007, according to a recent survey by Gartner. "There is great market opportunity for Lenovo, which has a strong SMB strategy through its established business partner network and recent SMB-focused notebook and services offerings," Tobul wrote in an e-mail. The Lenovo ThinkServer line will include two systems for SMBs:
"In addition, business partners will be able to offer an installation service to help SMBs every step of the way," Tobul added. "ThinkServer EasyManage provides comprehensive server management capability, and ThinkServer EasyUpdate will automatically update your servers with the latest hardware drivers and firmware to keep your server running optimally."
- The ThinkServer TS100, a single-socket tower server that will support Intel's 7200 series Core 2 Duo processors and support up to 8GB of memory and 160GB of data storage with four SATA (Serial ATA) hard disk drives.
- The ThinkServer RS110, a single-socket, rack-mount system with the same configuration as the TS100.
- The ThinkServer RD120, a rack-mount, dual-socket server that will support Intel's dual-core E5200 series Xeon processors and 46GB of memory and 500GB of data storage with six SATA drives.
- The ThinkServer TD100, a dual-socket tower system that supports Intel's quad-core E5400 series Xeon processors, 46GB of memory and 160GB of data storage with eight SATA drives.
- The ThinkServer TD100x, a dual-socket tower system that offers similar configurations to the TD100 server.