Adobe Rolls Out New Digital Publishing Suite
At its Adobe MAX 2010 developer conference, Adobe Systems launches a new digital publishing suite with new viewer technologies and hosted services.At its annual Adobe MAX developer conference, Adobe Systems announced the Adobe Digital Publishing Suite, providing publishers with a set of turnkey hosted services and viewer technology to create, publish, optimize and sell digital content direct to consumers, through content retailers or leading mobile marketplaces. The new Adobe Digital Publishing Suite is built on the foundation of Adobe Creative Suite and Adobe InDesign CS5 software, and it enables the design and delivery of publisher-branded reading experiences, paired with flexible commerce models and support for deep analytics reporting, Adobe said in a press release outlining the technology. Adobe announced the new Adobe Digital Publishing Suite at Adobe MAX 2010 in Los Angeles on Oct. 25.
Using InDesign CS5, PDF, HTML5 and the Digital Publishing Suite, publishers will be able to author both fixed and adaptive layouts, natively build new levels of interactivity directly in InDesign, distribute and monetize their digital editions, and optimize their editorial and advertising content for a complete end-to-end digital publishing workflow, Adobe officials said
- The Digital Publishing Suite will support the Adobe Content Viewer for Adobe AIR and iOS that can be fully publisher-branded to support immersive reading experiences on tablet devices, such as the BlackBerry PlayBook, Samsung Galaxy, Apple iPad and the many Android-based devices expected to come to market soon. Minimal chrome, innovative navigation features such as the zoomed out "browse mode" and dual-axis navigation allow readers to engage with content in new ways.
- Production Service: Upload articles directly from InDesign CS5 into an intuitive hosted service in which publishers can collaborate on design, assemble final content in the correct order, add issue and article metadata, and preview the complete issue as it will appear in final published form on the desktop and tablet devices. The Production Service will support a range of file formats, including PDF and HTML5.
- Distribution Service: Securely store, host and distribute digital content across leading tablet devices and desktops for broad reach and audience access. Publishers can manage content available for fulfillment from within a library content dashboard, including publication metadata and archival as well as seamlessly notify readers within the Content Viewer when a new magazine issue is available for purchase or download.
- E-Commerce Service: Leverage flexible payment and merchandising models with the ability to monetize content directly, through retailer platforms or leading mobile marketplaces such as the Blackberry App World, Android Market, Google Apps Marketplace or Apple App Store. Publishers can create high-value merchandising programs such as print and digital content bundles and enable readers to seamlessly purchase content directly from within the magazine application on their device. Direct publisher e-commerce support for interoperability will allow readers to purchase content once and read it on their desktop or tablet devices.
- Analytics Service: Gain valuable customer insights to better optimize editorial content and drive higher advertising monetization using best-of-class online analytics from Adobe SiteCatalyst, powered by Omniture. Publishers can access prebuilt dashboards directly from within the hosted publishing workflow to view key advertising and subscriber data including total ad views, issue download and purchase metrics and engagement with interactive content such as video. Valuable viewer-profile analytics can supplement traditional offline point-of-sale (POS) data to build a more comprehensive understanding of an individual subscriber. Drill-down reporting and analytics are available through a separate Adobe SiteCatalyst subscription. Additional dashboard and reports can be custom-tailored to meet a publisher's unique business goals.