Step 6: Publish the SPF Record in Your DNS Record
The sixth step is to publish the SPF record in your DNS record. I learned that your domain registrar, DNS host and Web host can be three different providers. Not all DNS providers let you publish SPF records. A list of providers who do so can be found by clicking this link. I chose to use a provider named EasyDNS. I transferred my DNS service to them using their wizard (which worked great), and published my already tested SPF record. I love this provider. They have great tutorials on DNS and sender authentication. They have their own SPF record wizard, too, but I did not try it. And get this, they actually answer e-mail support questions. All for $35 a year.And here's a great thing: Once the new DNS record takes hold, you can test it by sending e-mails to firstname.lastname@example.org and use the tool at http://senderid.espcoalition.org/. So, with a "Love my new Carrera" kind of exuberance, I send e-mails every day to email@example.com just to see the Result="pass" message. And the best part? Mom now gets my sender ID-authenticated e-mail in her Inbox. With pics. [Editors Note: Since submitting this article, Michael Smith reports that someone has attempted to spoof his domain for the purpose of sending spam. The spam using his spoofed account name was rejected because of the failed SPF. Mr. Smith, as you might imagine, is delighted. -Wayne Rash] Michael Smith is a partner in Montner & Associates, a public relations firm focused on business-to business technology clients. He co-founded the firm in 1998 with his wife and partner, Deb Montner. Previously, he worked in electronics manufacturing and software, serving as a general manager and director of product marketing during his 18 years at Schlumberger, a Fortune Global 500 technology services company. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. Shirley Montner is Michael Smith's e-mail saavy mother-in-law.
There was only one minor wrinkle for me. For downloading e-mail, I had to change my Outlook Express e-mail client's accounts setup. I changed the POP3 server from pop.montner.com (which no longer resolved so I couldn't download e-mail at some desktops) to the alternate, pop.hosting.earthlink.net. I could also have fixed this by adding a record for pop.montner.com on the DNS, but it was easier for me to change the POP3 setups on the clients.