Challenges Facing LTE Modem Manufacturers
Challenges facing LTE modem manufacturers Andrew related that there are a number of challenges to a modem manufacturer to bring out an entirely new 4G LTE wireless modem. A modem manufacturer must:1. Support complex deployments requiring different frequency bands and combinations of bands.2. Control costs.
- Support LTE as well as existing 2.5G and 3G wireless data networks.
- Support desire to roam, both locally and internationally.
- Deliver LTE modem products globally.
- Support the evolving 3GPP LTE standard.
- These have to be "in line" with current wireless modem costs.
- Ensure no bottleneck at device interface.
- Manage heat and power consumption.
- This requires careful antenna design and testing.
- This requires significant interaction with the wireless operator, and data modems such as these can't be developed independently of the operator.
- Satisfy performance users' expectations when using LTE.
- Enterprises that purchase wireless modems for use with their employees' notebook PCs have to consider the total cost to acquire and deploy the modems.
- Wireless data rates need to be considered in the TCO.