New Educational Process
New Education Process
So, what's the best form factor in which to use in this new, personalized educational process? It looks like the following:
1. Take basic laptop and add touch, GPS and third-generation/fourth-generation wireless communications
- System uses embedded wireless to interact with an educational back-end system
- Monitors student progress with feedback
2. Include "Here's How It's Supposed to Be Done" feature
- Animation shows what was done incorrectly (and then explains how it should be done)
- Informs teachers where help is needed
3. Include "Johnny needs help with this area" feature
- Informs administrators about progress
4. "The current status of the student is..." feature
- Enables a student to interact with others at the same level
5. Have a basic price point of $500 or less.
Companies such as Apple, HP, Dell and others are working on this. Software firms teaming with textbook authors could build student applications for the device, and major educational system providers could work on the back-end support systems.
I expect that the student will also carry around a handheld as well, whether it's a cell phone or something more similar to the iPod Touch to complement the total education process. Many lessons and databases will be available on handhelds. These will also integrate into the back-end systems. Companies such as Apple, Nokia, Google (Android), Microsoft and RIM are likely major players in the educational handheld space.