Mobile and Wireless: Mobile Messaging Business Campaigns With SMS: 10 Tips for Enterprises

 
 
By Chris Preimesberger  |  Posted 2012-07-10 Email Print this article Print
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The rapid multiplication of new devices and convergence in the data center of mobile messaging, smartphones, the mobile Web and social media has brought enormous communication change to existing industries and in fact created entirely new ones.  For business decision makers, the pace of change can raise a lot of questions. Do we really need a mobile strategy? If so, where do we start? Generally, the answers are: a) yes, you need a mobile business strategy, and b) the best way to get started is with mobile messaging. The reasons for basing your mobile strategy on messaging are pretty clear. Mobile phones may have been first envisioned as portable devices for voice calls. But with the broad adoption of Short Message Service (SMS) texting beginning in the early 1990s, mobile phones quickly evolved into a potential powerful business tool. The fact is that data traffic on wireless networks is far outpacing voice traffic. Some industry watchers predict that voice call traffic will account for only 0.3 percent of mobile data traffic by 2015. The other 99.7 percent will be comprised of business data, video, file downloads, application usage and other types of data. Today, nearly 10 years into the smartphone era, there are a multitude of opportunities to create new businesses and services around messaging. It's easier than you might think to take advantage of mobile messaging to advance business goals. Here are 10 steps you can take to make mobile messaging work for your business. eWEEK's resource for this slideshow is Message Systems President and CEO George Schlossnagle, whose company helps businesses use messaging to drive revenue. Messaging Systems' customers include Facebook, Match.com, Zynga and PayPal among others.
 
 
 

Know the Value Propositions of Email and SMS

Text messaging has so much value as a business-to-consumer communication channel, not just because it's the standard format for virtually every one of the more than 5 billion mobile phones worldwide, but because people pay more attention to texts than they do to email. Some estimates show open rates for SMS texts to be as high as 97 percent, while only 16 percent to 17 percent of email messages get opened and read. The difference in opening rates makes SMS highly useful for conveying time-sensitive notifications. Examples include fraud and overdraft alerts for the financial services market, appointment notifications for health care providers and travel advisories for airlines.
Know the Value Propositions of Email and SMS
 
 
 
 
 
Chris Preimesberger Chris Preimesberger was named Editor-in-Chief of Features & Analysis at eWEEK in November 2011. Previously he served eWEEK as Senior Writer, covering a range of IT sectors that include data center systems, cloud computing, storage, virtualization, green IT, e-discovery and IT governance. His blog, Storage Station, is considered a go-to information source. Chris won a national Folio Award for magazine writing in November 2011 for a cover story on Salesforce.com and CEO-founder Marc Benioff, and he has served as a judge for the SIIA Codie Awards since 2005. In previous IT journalism, Chris was a founding editor of both IT Manager's Journal and DevX.com and was managing editor of Software Development magazine. His diverse resume also includes: sportswriter for the Los Angeles Daily News, covering NCAA and NBA basketball, television critic for the Palo Alto Times Tribune, and Sports Information Director at Stanford University. He has served as a correspondent for The Associated Press, covering Stanford and NCAA tournament basketball, since 1983. He has covered a number of major events, including the 1984 Democratic National Convention, a Presidential press conference at the White House in 1993, the Emmy Awards (three times), two Rose Bowls, the Fiesta Bowl, several NCAA men's and women's basketball tournaments, a Formula One Grand Prix auto race, a heavyweight boxing championship bout (Ali vs. Spinks, 1978), and the 1985 Super Bowl. A 1975 graduate of Pepperdine University in Malibu, Calif., Chris has won more than a dozen regional and national awards for his work. He and his wife, Rebecca, have four children and reside in Redwood City, Calif.Follow on Twitter: editingwhiz
 
 
 
 
 
 

Submit a Comment

Loading Comments...
 
Manage your Newsletters: Login   Register My Newsletters























 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Rocket Fuel