Questions to Ask: Voice-Over-Wi-Fi Phones
* How are phones configured?
From the keypad? From an embedded Web interface? Automatically downloading profile from TFTP (Trivial File Transfer Protocol) server? Other?
* Can the device support multiple profiles?
Multiple wireless profiles? Multiple SIP profiles?
* Is it possible to deauthenticate a phone if the device is lost or stolen?
If yes, how?
Networking and security
* What wireless network standards does it support?
* What wireless security standards are supported?
WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy) (64/128/256 bit)
WPA (Wi-Fi Protected Access)/WPA2 (with 802.1x support)
WPA/WPA2 (PSK, or preshared key)
* Can the user conduct scans for wireless networks, or can the administrator lock profiles to specific networks?
* Are NAT (Network Address Translation) traversal techniques supported?
* Is STUN (Simple Traversal of UDP over NATs) supported?
* Which of the following telephony features are supported or available? Make sure features are supported when used with your existing PBX solution.
call transfer conferencing intercom paging hold/resume redial mute caller ID speed dial park voice mail notification
* Which of the following options are supported or available?
speakerphone headset jack keypad lock
* Other features?
instant messaging e-mail push to talk Web surfing
* Other data services?
* Can users or administrators import or export contact list/phone book or user directory?
* How many entries are accepted in phone book?
* What codecs does the phone support?
G.711 a-law/u-law and G.729 are more common
* Can the device handle Layer 3 roams or just Layer 2?
* What is the expected roaming performance?
Without encryption? With encryption (WEP, WPA/WPA2802.1x and PSK)?
* What technologies or features are used to improve roaming performance?
* Does the device offer echo cancellation?
* How much standby time?
* How much talk time?
* How long to fully recharge?
* Can I replace the rechargeable battery?
* How is the device recharged?