Wikileaks gave the New York Times a diplomatic cable that shows the Chinese government was responsible for the hack on Google's Gmail system.
government was indeed behind the hack on Google's Gmail system earlier this
year according to a cable captured by the controversial Wikileaks
Wikileaks, which butters its bread collecting secret documents and seeding
them in media outlets, snagged 250,000 American diplomatic cables dating back
three years and released some of them to the New York Times and other media
The Times cited
one of the cables as proof that "China's
Politburo directed the intrusion into Google's computer systems in that
country, a Chinese contact told the American Embassy in Beijing
The hack was part of a computer sabotage campaign carried out by government
operatives, private security experts and Internet outlaws recruited by the
Chinese government. This has been going on since at least 2002, the cable said.
A Google spokesperson told eWEEK: "We aren't going to be able to comment. As you know, since we
revealed this incident in January, we haven't been speculating as to the
Easily one of the biggest stories of the year concerning Google, the search
infiltration on its servers Jan. 12.
David Drummond, senior vice president of corporate development and chief
legal officer, described the hack as a "highly sophisticated and targeted
attack on our corporate infrastructure originating from China
that resulted in the theft of intellectual property from Google."
Gmail accounts of human rights activists were accessed. The Chinese government denied any involvement
Drummond said Google would no longer censor results on Google.cn and
threatened to shut down its operations in China amid concerns about a cyber-attack
and repeated efforts to access the Gmail accounts of Chinese activists.
The U.S. State Department, which oversees such matters, supported Google's
action, but didn't do anything more to support the company beyond a "condemnation
Analysts at Jefferies and Co. said that while Google.cn accounts for $250
million to $300 million (1 to 2 percent) of Google's net revenue, the long-term
impact of Google's absence from China could be greater because China boasts
some 400 million Web users the search engine won't be able to serve.
Failing to negotiate a proper resolution with the Chinese government, Google
made partial good
on its threat in March when it ceased
censoring its Google Search, Google News and Google Images sites on Google.cn.
The company redirected those who visit the search engine to its Hong
Kong site Google.com.hk, where it served users uncensored search
in simplified Chinese.
the redirect in June when the Chinese government threatened
to not renew Google's Internet Content Provider license to operate in the
Google's operator's license in July, and all has been
quiet on the matter since the summer.