Attributes of Web
Losers "> Attributes of Web Losers Arrington listed the following as attributes common to losing Web business companies:What Server Platforms Are Being Used? "PHP [the open-source Web content builder] is by far the most popular at the moment, but Ruby on Rails is upcoming and gaining some momentum," Arrington said. "Java, of course, is there for serious Web apps, and some people have been doing interesting things with XUL/XAML." Arrington said that Adobes relatively new Apollo and some desktop hybrids will begin getting mindshare in the coming months and years. What Kinds of Sites Have Saturated the Market "If youre going to start a new commercial Web site venture, you probably dont want to do it in these following genres," Arrington said. "Unless, of course, you have a really, really good idea. There are already way too many of these out there." Here are those categories:
- They make poor founder team choices. "People who cant get along in working in a startup have no business working together," he said.
- "Lifestyle ego" entrepreneurs. "These guys are eager to show off their money, demonstrate all the toys they have and tell you about all the places theyve been; theyre in it for the ego trip, not for the success of the business," Arrington said.
- They raise too much money and cannot help but spend it.
- They "over biz plan" their startup. "These guys spend way too much on consultants and overthink their business, trying to add too many sideshows instead of focusing in on just doing what they do best."
- They try to scale up too fast. "Dont even think about how to scale up fast when you just get started; forget about it. Just service your customers the best way you know how, and the number of customers will grow if you do your job right," Arrington said.
- They get listed on TechCrunch.com. "This is my site, in which I talk about all these things. You dont want to get mentioned on my site," Arrington said.
Web 2.0 label lacks meaning and magic. Click here to read more.
- social networking
- special bookmarking (del.icio.us)
- blogging, podcasting
- RSS feed readers
- portals/home pages