Salaries in Tech Rise A Little for Enterprise Workers, CIOs
If you work in large enterprise, your salary has likely gone up a little. According to management consulting firm Janco Associates who specialize in IT services and put out a mid-year survey on IT salaries, enterprise pay has risen from $82,475 to $81,652 at the mean. Salaries at mid-size companies have not fared as well and have dropped from $73,905 to $73,439.
The biggest winners in salary in 2010 are CIOs, reports Janco:
The mean compensation for CIOs in large enterprises is now $181,533 (an increase of 7.52%) and $169,303 (a 3.73%) in mid-sized enterprises.The bad news here is that spending freezes, higher health care costs, and a few layoffs are still happening at technology firms--especially for mid-career level managers and IT support staff. Layoffs have tapered off from 2009 levels significantly.
The winners here appear to be outsourcing vendors as more and more IT work is being sliced and diced by external service providers either offshore or in the States. Hiring for full time employees is flat, according to this report.
What skills are in demand? Janco finds the following:
* Project Management - especially large projects with short time frame for delivery
* Security - focus on mandated compliance issues
* Network Administration - wireless and cloud administration
* Virtualization (Cloud) - new applications and management of the IT infrastructure
* Business and Operational Analysis - focus on business change
* Productivity Improvement Analysis - metrics and operational analysis
* Web 2 - interactive applications that add value
* Database Management - applications that leverage enterprise assets
* System Administration - Windows and UNIX management
* Desktop Support - standardization and change management