Three weeks after five alleged members of LulzSec were arrested, hackers claiming the LulzSec banner say they attacked a Website for military singles.
A hacker group
using the name "LulzSec" is claiming responsibility for breaking into
the database for a Website for single members of the military over the weekend.
According to a
post on the blog
March 25, hackers using the names "LulzSec"
and "LulzSecReborn" said they had broken into the site
and stolen datafrom passwords to email
addressesfrom almost 171,000 accounts.
website http://www.militarysingles.com/ was recently closed day ago or so, so
we dumped email db," the message in the blog post said. "There are
emails such as @us.army.mil; @carney.navy.mil; @greatlakes.cnet.navy.mil;
@microsoft.com; etc. ..."
The hack was
noted on the Website Databreaches.net
. However, in a response
to the post, officials with eSingles, which owns MilitarySingles.com, said they
were aware of the claim and were investigating the situation. However, they
added: "At this time, there is no actual evidence that MilitarySingles.com
was hacked, and it is possible that the Tweet from Operation Digiturk is simply
a false claim." They said they were treating the claim as real.
Digiturk first reported the hack over the weekend.
Databreaches.com site questioned eSingles' reaction.
define 'actual evidence?'" according to the Databreaches.com response. "
I compared the database in the .rar file to the 'online members' pictured on
your home page and the entries in the data dump correspond to those user names."
The attack on
the singles site comes three weeks after law enforcement officials in the
United States and Europe arrested five people
suspected of being members
of LulzSec, a hacker group that during a 50-day period last year attacked
government and corporate Websites and stole data. Among the alleged victims
were the CIA, the U.S. Senate and Sony.
high-profile arrests generated headlines, particularly after it was learned
that the break in the case came in August 2011, when authorities arrested
Xavier Monsegur, a 28-year-old New York City resident and alleged leader of LulzSec.
According to law enforcement officials, Monsegur, who used the online name "Sabu"
in his work with LulzSec, cooperated with authorities in hopes of getting a
reduced sentence and helped lead to the arrests of the five people March 6.
The arrests also
drew the ire of the hacker collective Anonymous, which launched its own attacks
in retaliation against such groups as data security firms Panda Security and
Symantec, as well as New York Ironworks
, a company that sells
equipment and gear to the New York City Police Department.