Google Search Domination Continues, but Bing, Yahoo Still Trailing
The total number of Web searches by U.S. users is down from a year ago, according to ComScore. However, Google still dominates the market, with Yahoo and Bing far behind.
Though Microsoft's search engine usage in the United States increased slightly by 0.01 percent since June, Google still dominates Web search with 66.8 percent of the U.S. market, according to the latest July 2012 figures from Web analytics firm ComScore.
The latest monthly ComScore qSearch search engine rankings for July continue to be led in the United States by Google, with Microsoft's Bing capturing 15.7 percent of users and Yahoo sites capturing 13 percent of users. They are trailed by Ask Network sites capturing 3.1 percent of users and AOL with 1.5 percent of the market, according to the figures. The numbers are for what ComScore calls explicit core searches, or those that exclude slide shows and contextual links in text.
The latest figures, which the firm released Aug. 15, are almost identical to the usage patterns from June, with the exceptions being that Microsoft search use increased from 15.6 percent in June, while Ask search increased by 0.01 percent in the same period.About 17.7 billion overall searches were conducted in July by U.S. users, according to ComScore, which is an increase of 3 percent since June. Google search was used for 11.8 billion of those searches, an increase of 3 percent, while Microsoft search was used 2.8 billion times, for an increase of 4 percent. Yahoo search came in third with 2.3 billion searches, up 3 percent from June, while Ask Network was used for 548 million searches, an increase of 6 percent, and AOL was used in 264 million searches. For Google, the latest search rankings show increased use compared to one year ago, when Google was the search engine selected by 65.1 percent of U.S. users, according to ComScore figures from July 2011.