Things certainly have changed since we announced the winners of the first eWEEK Excellence Awards seven years ago.
The challenges and problems facing IT today require new capabilities and greater integration functionality than was the case in 2000.
Back then, companies felt that they had finally grasped the whole business on the Web thing, not knowing that they would, in a few years, have to deal with a 2.0 version of the Web. And while we watched the death of the old ASP (application service provider)-hosted model, few of us realized that it would come back with a vengeance as on-demand and SAAS (software as a service).
But some things never change, such as the constant struggle to keep IT resources secure from external threats or the need to put solid computing tools in the hands of workers.
The seventh eWEEK Excellence Award winners come from longtime titans of technology as well as small upstarts using open-source technologies. But all the winners are the same in that they are providing the ingenuity and features that businesses need to stay on the cutting edge.
The seventh annual Excellence Awards program was open to any enterprise technology product announced in 2006 and released before the end of the first quarter of 2007. The eWEEK editorial staff judged the entries.
Were pleased to offer readers this annual guide to excellence, including the winners and finalists in all categories:
- Analytics & Reporting
- Application Development
- Business Integration Systems
- Business Relationship Management
- Desktop & Mobile Hardware
- E-Business Foundations
- E-Mail Management & Security
- Enterprise Collaboration
- Enterprise Storage Hardware
- Enterprise Storage Software
- IT Quality Assurance Tools
- Productivity Applications
- Server Hardware
- Networking & Management Tools
- Networking Infrastructure
- System & Application Management
- Authentication & User Management
- Network Data-Stream Protection
- Vulnerability Assessment & Remediation