Whats more important than figuring out how to get uninfected? Avoiding infection in the first place. Here are some simple steps you can take to safeguard your systems.
- Download patch updates from Windowsupdate.com:
"Windows NT 4.0 ServerWindows NT 4.0 Terminal Server EditionWindows 2000Windows XP 32 bit EditionWindows XP 64 bit EditionWindows Server 2003 32 bit EditionWindows Server 2003 64 bit EditionWindows ME, 98 and 95 are not affected."
- Install firewall software. ZoneAlarm Pro, for example, or the free version, ZoneAlarm, will block the worm. Both are available for download from the Zone Labs Web site. Other firewalls will work as well.
- Update your antivirus signature file. Most major antivirus manufacturers have posted alerts and updates to capture and clean the virus. If you do not have antivirus software, get it now.
- Always allow critical system updates. You can run Windows XPs Automatic Update Wizard. Yes, Microsoft releases updates every Wednesday, but it does so for a reason. Its trying to stay ahead of the hackers and virus authors. Whats more, Microsoft and others are constantly finding small (and large) system bugs that these patches are designed to fix.
- Manage your enterprise level patches. Critical updates must be installed. We know theyre not easy to do, but ignoring them could mean millions in lost business. Try to do the updates during non-peak office hours. Here are some more tips on patch management.
Read the rest of this story on PCMag.com.