Q: I am running Microsoft Windows XP with Outlook Express as my e-mail client. My font for composing messages is 10-point Arial and my mail-sending format is HTML. When I print an incoming message, it prints in Arial—but in 14-point size. This problem does not occur with any of my other output, such as from my word processor, only when I print from OE. I have checked all of the settings in OE and cannot find an answer. Do you have any suggestions?—Don Schley
A: This is a known issue, and Microsoft offers a very specific cure. Follow these steps:
1. In Outlook Express, go to Tools | Options. In the Read tab, click Fonts. Choose Smallest.
2. Click OK twice to close OEs options.
3. In Internet Explorer, select View | Text Size | Smallest from the menu.
4. Reboot the computer.
5. Launch OE. Repeat steps 1 to 3, choosing Medium or your preferred size.
6. Launch IE; select the same size as for OE.
OE and IE work together to display HTML messages and to print messages. Once you get them back in sync, your problem should vanish.