Android Doubles iOS Impression Share: Millennial
Google's (NASDAQ:GOOG) Android mobile operating system Oct. 25 grabbed 56 percent of total ad impressions, fully double the 28 percent impression share enjoyed by Apple's (NASDAQ:AAPL) iOS, according to Millennial Media's September statistics.
Millennial Media found that Android also beat iOS in application ad spending by a count of 49 percent to 41 percent, the same figure the ad network calculated in August. Moreover, Android once again accounted for 15 of the top 20 devices on the network.
Samsung in September switched places with HTC on the Android handset OEM leaderboard by a count of 16.5 percent to 15.5 percent. Motorola was No. 3 with 10.7 percent, down from 11.3 percent in August. China's Huawei tripled its growth year-over-year, and had two Android devices in the top 15 mobile phones on Millennial.
Apple's iPhone leads with 23 percent of impression share, as the device accounted for 54 percent of the impressions on the iOS platform. The iPod Touch and iPad corralled the remaining 46 percent.
However, Apple's iPad is dominant regarding ads Millennial is seeing on the tablet form factor, accounting for 97 percent of all ads shown via media slates. Ad impressions served through iPads jumped 456 percent from a year ago, proving that advertisers are increasingly pairing ads with iPad apps and content.
Millennial's figures for October and November should prove more interesting.
The stats will include ad impressions for the new iPhone 4S, which launched Oct. 14 and sold over 4 million units its first weekend, as well as several new Android phones, such as the Motorola Droid Razr and the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, the first Android 4.0 "Ice Cream Sandwich" smartphone to hit the market.
Apple has been particularly quiet about its iAd mobile ad campaigns of late, while Google CEO Larry Page revealed on the company's third-quarter earnings call that Google's mobile ad business is expected to bank $2.5 billion this year.
The company has also just introduced new ad formats to better monetize mobile applications.