Scentric Tackles Risk, Compliance Issues
Scentric Destiny is the first universal package for cataloging, classifying and controlling all types of data, regardless of where it is stored in the enterprise, a company spokesman said.
"ESG estimates that organizations will archive over 24,000 petabytes of information over the next five years," said Brian Babineau, a Palo Alto, Calif.-based senior analyst with Enterprise Strategy Group.
"The challenge will be to identify, classify and group this data based on compliance and accessibility needs."
Scentric Destiny R2 introduces new functionalities into the product that address critical problems resulting from runaway data growth and ever-changing compliance requirements, a company spokesperson for the Alpharetta, Ga., company said.
New features and functionality in Scentric Destiny R2, according to the company, include the following:
- Universal archiving: Supports archiving platforms from EMC, Hitachi, Archivas and PermaBit. This support is built on an extensible architecture that allows Scentric to support additional archive platforms in the future.
- Classification analysis: E-mail and file management policies for gap analysis and comprehensive data classification reports. Applications include IT storage resource allocation reporting, electronic discovery and fine-tuning policies.
- Data coverage: Supports management of data stored on NetWare and NFS file shares in addition to CIFS and local Windows data available in Scentric Destiny 1.0.
- Customization: Improved scripting capabilities to ease integration with external applications by allowing Destiny to pass the results of a classification to applications like backup and in-house-developed data and information management utilities.
- Reports: Introduces new report types for duplicate files and trending of resource consumption for file systems.
- User interface: Building on customer and partner feedback gained from deployments of Destiny 1.0, Destiny R2 simplifies critical classification tasks and also makes Destiny configuration simpler for enterprise environments with terabytes of storage, hundreds of application servers and thousands of desktops.
Destiny R2 is designed to fill the gap between data and information management by promoting collaboration among business, compliance and IT managers. In addition, the package enables enterprises to establish best practices through the seamless implementation of prepackaged and customized policies, or leveraging of existing policies, the spokesperson said.
Scentrics Destiny R2 helps customers manage information more intelligently so that it can be archived on the appropriate storage system that aligns with the business availability and cost-to-store requirements, Babineau said.
"But infrastructure optimization is just a part of Destinys story. With 50 percent of organizations going through an electronic discovery over the past 12 months and the increasing regulatory focus on information privacy, corporations have no choice but to manage information more intelligently," he said. "This requires understanding the content and attributes of all information, a task enabled by Scentrics Destiny R2 solution."
For more information about Scentric and its products, go here.
Check out eWEEK.coms for the latest news, reviews and analysis on enterprise and small business storage hardware and software.