IBM offers a number of certifications for its relational database DB2. The certifications target a broad range of skills and interests, from technology professionals aiming to gain database expertise, to those with years of DB2 experience. The following certification tracks are available:
- DB2 V6.1/V7.1 User.
- DB2 UDB V7.1 Database Administration for UNIX, Windows and OS/2.
- DB2 UDB V7.1 Family Application Development.
- DB2 UDB V7.1 Database Administration for OS/390.
- DB2 UDB V6.1 Database Administration for UNIX, Windows and OS/2.
- DB2 UDB V6.1 Application Development for UNIX, Windows and OS/2.
- DB2 for Clusters.
- DB2 -- DRDA (Distributed Relational Database Architecture).
- DB2 Data Replication.
Depending on the certification you choose, you will earn the title of IBM Certified Specialist, IBM Certified Solutions Expert or IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert.
More DB2 info.
The Informix Certified Professional (ICP) program offers certifications for Informix database and data warehousing professionals. The recipient also earns the title of IBM Certified Solutions Expert in one of the following areas:
- Informix Dynamic Server V9 System Administrator.
- Informix Dynamic Server V7 System Administrator.
- Red Brick Warehouse V6 System Administrator.
- Informix 4GL Developer.
According to IBM, who acquired the Informix database product last year, these certifications require "intermediate to advanced skills" in the day-to-day administration of the relevant Informix products. Youll need to pass anywhere from one test (for Red Brick Warehouse) to four (for Dynamic Server V7).
More ICP info.
Microsoft SQL Server
The Microsoft Certified Database Administrator (MCDBA) credential is targeted at professionals who implement and administer Microsoft SQL Server databases. If youre a database administrator, analyst or developer, who manages and maintains databases, configures security options, designs databases or installs SQL Server, then the MCDBA is a credential to consider. Microsoft recommends candidates have at least one year of experience working with SQL Server.
More MCDBA info.
MySQL AB, the company behind MySQL, the popular open-source database, will be introducing a certification program later this year. According to the company, two or three levels of certification will be available, along with specialized programs for developers.
More MySQL info
The companys certifications test candidates in job roles related to Pervasive.SQL 2000i, Pervasives database software:
- Certified Pervasive Professional.
- Certified Pervasive Technician.
- Certified Pervasive Developer.
The professional certification is geared toward individuals selling or marketing Pervasive products, while the technician label is targeted to techies who install and configure Pervasive databases. The developer certification is aimed at software professionals who design and code Pervasive applications.
More Pervasive info.
Sybase provides a number of certification programs geared toward technology professionals who administer, maintain and design databases:
- Adaptive Server Administrator Associate (Versions 11.5 and 12.0).
- Adaptive Server Administrator Professional (Version 11.5 and 12.0).
- Sybase SQL Anywhere 7.0 Associate.
- SQL Developer.
The Sybase certification program offers assorted resources for individuals interested in certification, including a FAQ, practice exams and a guide to recommended courses.
More Sybase info.
The company, a division of NCR, offers the following certifications for technology professionals who design, administer, support or write applications for Teradatas database technology:
- Teradata Certified Professional.
- Teradata Certified Implementation Specialist.
- Teradata Certified SQL Specialist.
- Teradata Certified Administrator.
- Teradata Certified Designer.
- Teradata Certified Application Developer.
For the Teradata Basics Exam, the company recommends 12 to 18 months experience; other exams require two to three years experience.
More Teradata info.
If youve got database expertise, youll find a Brainbench certification to match. The companys database-related certifications include credentials for both specific products and more general topics:
- Data Modeling Concepts.
- DB2 Administration.
- Informix 7.X Administration.
- MS SQL Server 2000 Programming.
- RDBMS (Relational Database Management System) Concepts.
- Sybase 11.X administration.
More Brainbench info.
Search MonsterLearning for database-related courses or programs.
IT Professionals: get more resume help, salary data and industry info from Monster Technology.