Is Technology Success Killing Customer Service?
But the problem of retailers relying too much on technology and cutting off customer feedback is only half the problem. Customer service outsource companies are finding it quite easy now to interpret policies however they want and to then hide unhappy customers from their retail clients.
See, retailers, cutting off phone contact with customers doesnt only prevent them from bugging your people and taking up their time. It also prevents your people from hearing what your customers are trying to tell you.
Click here to read more about Walmart.com shuttering its online customer phone service.
I recently was doing business with a company, which shall remain nameless, and it shipped an item that I had never ordered. The companys customer service representative said its policy was to not pay for return shipping for such unordered deliveries. A call to that companys headquarters quickly established that its policy was in fact to pay for return shipping in such cases. But that didnt convince the outsourced customer service people, who resolutely stuck to their interpretation of the policy. No requests for escalation could get this matter to the attention of corporate (without my calling directly, which is cheating).
Makes one wonder how many of these calls have happened without the companys management being made aware.
Another good technology advancement that is often undermining customer service: Instant Chat. In theory, chat is an efficient and wonderful way to avoid long waits on hold and to get matters quickly resolved.
But when reps are handling several IM conversations at once and are reflexively cutting-and-pasting canned responses to heartfelt questions, the customer service element seems to have gotten lost.
The heart of the problem seems to be the 90-10 customer service split. The instant messages and the automated Web programs are fine for dealing with about 90 percent of the customer service problems. That is a huge load reduction for customer service. The problem is with the remaining 10 percent, whose problems are not so cookie-cutter and often involve systems that are not functioning as they are supposed to.
If there was an easy way for that 10 percent to automatically be moved to a senior customer service person, this wouldnt be nearly as much of a problem as it is. But retailers are getting greedy.
Anand Chopra is the senior director of marketing for a customer service firm called Talisma and he sees the problem as more a rush of technology.
"Retailers have adopted these channels and they dont quite know how to handle them," Chopra said. "Retailers need to take a step back and look at this at a more strategic level. Not every customer should chat with an agent."
The lack of trustworthy data getting back to retail headquarters isnt helped much by those customer service surveys, "which are disproportionately filled out by those who are happy," said Rob Booher, Talismas director of product management. "People who are unhappy with the service tend to internalize it. They get so irritated with the vendor or service, they dont want to take the time to discuss it with them."
From the retailers perspective, they think everything is going wonderfully. The automated systems have allowed them to have far fewer customer service people and complaints are minimal. Which retailers are so brave that theyre going to want to rock that boat?
Best for them to be silent and then profess ignorance when sales start to fall. Better yet, when the revenues plummet, just blame technology glitches. This time, though, theyll be right.
Retail Center Editor Evan Schuman has tracked high-tech issues since 1987, has been opinionated long before that and doesnt plan to stop any time soon. He can be reached at Evan.Schuman@ziffdavisenterprise.com.
To read earlier retail technology opinion columns from Evan Schuman, please click here.
Check out eWEEK.coms for the latest news, views and analysis on technologys impact on retail.