Google plans to test internally a new Google News prototype, push more Google Pack downloads for novice users and sell over $1 billion in advertising inventory, according to leaked internal documents.
The two documents -- titled "Big Goals and Directions" and "Objectives and Key Results - Q3 2006 Company OKRs" -- reveal several internal goals and benchmarks for Google's search and advertising projects.
Among Google's biggest goals:
- improving infrastructure to make engineers more productive
- create a universal search tool for employees that contains "all public Google information searched on all Google searches"
- create the world's top AI laboratory
- get rid of spam in the top 20 languages
- push more Google Pack downloads, 60 million of which have been downloaded so far, according to the documents
- internally test a Google News prototype that will allow "other news sources, and organizations and individuals mentioned in news stories to debate specific points"
- create a time-based search function that reveals results on a "timeline of map."