Scale-out data protection provider Sepaton on May 23 added to its future product line with a pair of new storage systems aimed specifically at large enterprises with remote offices.
The new S2100-DS3 Series 1000 and 2000 systems, now in beta testing, are designed to bring the same type of high-end data protection to remote offices that previously has been available only to primary data centers.
Remote offices most often do not have a full-time IT person on location, so the Sepaton systems are designed to be easy enough for a non-IT-expert staff member to operate.
Data protection for remote offices that is centrally managed from a corporate data center eliminates a problem for those far-away locations: They can back up and replicate more data in less time and keep more data online longer in a secure, high-availability environment.
The DS3 platforms will carry either 10TB or 20TB of usable capacity in a 2U form factor. Key features, according to Sepaton, include:
- High performance: The DS3 cuts backup and restore times with two Fibre Channel and two 10 Gigabit Ethernet ports as a standard feature. The S2100-DS3 Series 2000e delivers backup speeds of up to 1,500MB/sec.
- Simplified management: The DS3 is designed for remote offices with limited IT resources. It installs quickly and without changes to backup policies.
- Advanced flexibility: Each DS3 can run up to 192 virtual devices simultaneously, each of which can be configured as a virtual library or virtual tape drive. Up to 64,000 virtual tape cartridges can be configured per platform. Up to three additional expansion disk trays can be added for a maximum usable disk capacity of 80TB per system.
- Data deduplication: The DS3 includes compression and Sepaton DeltaStor deduplication.
- Remote replication: DeltaRemote replication utilizes Sepaton's delta-differencing IT.
- High reliability: The S2100-DS3 is designed to protect data from faults and failures for continuous access to stored data. High-availability features include SATA RAID-based storage as well as redundant power and cooling and remote monitoring through alerts. The Sepaton system software is protected by redundant, internally mirrored drives.
"Remote offices of larger firms are characterized as having local data critical to the organization and limited IT personnel to manage local backup processes," said Lauren Whitehouse, a senior analyst at Enterprise Strategy Group.
"Delivering reliable backup that requires little to no local staff intervention and the ability to manage backup systems remotely is highly desirable. Optimized WAN data transfer from remote offices to the central data center to enable disaster recovery is an added bonus."
Pricing for the Sepaton S2100-DS3 starts at $110,000 for a 10TB usable system, including compression and deduplication.