Google Container Engine for Docker Now Generally Available

 
 
By eWEEK Staff  |  Posted 2015-08-28 Print this article Print
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

DAILY VIDEO: Google announces general availability of Container Engine; Intel invests $60 million in a drone maker; Yahoo says mobile apps rule, browser is bygone; and there's more.

 
New LG G6 Smartphone to Feature Side-by-Side FullVision Display

DAILY VIDEO: LG G6 smartphone getting side-by-side FullVision display; Azure SQL database threat...

Verizon, Yahoo Agree to Reduce Buyout Price to $4.55 Billion

DAILY VIDEO: Verizon negotiates down to $4.55B for Yahoo transaction; Congressional staffers see...

Google Tells RSA Show Audience How it Secures a Billion Android Users

DAILY VIDEO: How Google secures over a billion Android users; Amazon moves into teleconferencing...

Oracle Appeals Ruling in Java Infringement Dispute With Google

DAILY VIDEO: Oracle revives Java copyright infringement dispute with Google; Apple to Mark Smartphone...

Trump Administration Holds Back Executive Order on Cyber-Security

DAILY VIDEO: White House withholds cyber-security order for further revision; Cortana to help Windows...

Kaspersky Finds New Malware Designed to Hide in Memory, Steal Data

DAILY VIDEO: Kaspersky discovers new malware designed to stealthily steal data; Microsoft to shield...

U.S. Court Orders Google to Turn Over Data Stored on Overseas Servers

DAILY VIDEO: Federal court says Google must turn over data in foreign servers; Cisco report: mobile...

Leak of Windows 10 Cloud Suggests Microsoft Readying Chrome OS Fighter

DAILY VIDEO: Windows 10 Cloud leak points to potential Chrome OS fighter; TiVo's analytics pinpoint...

Google Shuts Down Short-Lived Hands Free Mobile Payment App

DAILY VIDEO: Google drops hands free mobile payment app; Microsoft Outlook on iOS welcomes Evernote...

Snap Inc. Files for an IPO Worth an Estimated $3 Billion

DAILY VIDEO: Snap Inc. makes it official, will go public next month; Microsoft sharpens Edge browser...



Read more about the stories in today's news:

 
 
 

Today's topics include the general release of Google's Container Engine, Intel is investing $60 million in a Drone manufacturer, Yahoo says browsers are a thing of the past, and Fujitsu is recalling its Lifebook battery pack over fire concerns.

Google's Container Engine service for managing Docker containers on its cloud platform has become generally available. That means it is now fully backed by the company's service-level agreements and other policies.

Starting today, businesses seeking to run Docker containers on Google will be able to fully manage and orchestrate their container clusters using Container Engine.

Google announced Container Engine last year as a cluster management and orchestration tool for Docker containers.

Intel is investing more than $60 million into a Chinese-based drone manufacturer, the latest move by company executives to push the chip maker's technology into emerging technologies and to reduce its reliance on the shrinking global PC market.

The vendor is investing the money in Yuneec, one of a growing number of drone makers that include not only smaller startups but also top-tier vendors such as Sony, which has partnered with Japanese firm ZMP to create a new drone company called Aerosense and this week showed off videos of a drone that reportedly can travel at 106 mph.

When it comes to mobile, the browser has been sidelined, at least according to Yahoo. Developers instead ought to focus on enhancing the in-app experience and making apps more compelling, as users are spending more time than ever on their mobile devices, according to a Yahoo executive.

Simon Khalaf, senior vice president of Publishing Products at Yahoo, in the opening keynote at the Yahoo Mobile Developer Conference in New York, said 90 percent of the time consumers spend in mobile is in apps, and the remaining 10 percent is spent in browsers.

This figure is up from the first quarter of this year when consumers spent 88 percent of the time on mobile devices in apps.

Fujitsu is recalling as many as 70,000 battery packs for some of its Lifebook notebook PCs that were sold worldwide between 2011 and 2012.

According to the notice posted on the company's Website, the recall comes among concerns that some of the battery packs, which were manufactured by Panasonic, could ignite and cause a fire, officials said.

According to the Japan Times, Fujitsu officials confirmed three cases of fires that have been linked to the battery, but that there are no reports of anyone being injured.

 
 
 

Submit a Comment

Loading Comments...
 
Manage your Newsletters: Login   Register My Newsletters























 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Rocket Fuel