NOVEMBER 12, 2001
In May, eWEEK Labs tested a late beta release of iConverse Inc.s iConverse Mobile Studio 2.0. To read the review, go to www.eweek.com/article/0,3658,s%253D1884%2526a%253D9847,00.asp.
REVIEW: LANCODES STEALTHWATCH G1
For a longer version of eWEEK Labs review of Lancope Inc.s StealthWatch G1 intrustion-detection appliance, "Lancope IDS Looks Into the Unknown to Detect Threats," go to www.eweek.com/article/0,3658,s%253D702%2526a%253D18030,00.asp. FIVE STEPS TO ENTERPRISE SECURITY/STEP 2: PREVENTION
- For Step 1 of the Special Report on assessment, go to /article/0,3658,s%253D704%2526a%253D17878,00.asp.
- For eWEEK Labs Openhack security test, go to www.zdnet.com/techupdate/stories/main/0,14179,2612066,00.html
- See eWEEK Labs reviews of several IIS application firewalls at www.eweek.com/article/0,3658,s%253D708%2526a%253D17363,00.asp
- Web resources
- CERTs best practices for securing servers and desktops
- SANS-FBI 20 Most Critical Internet Security Vulnerabilities
- National Security Agencys Security Recommendation Guides
- NSAs 60 Minute Network Security Guide (still in draft form)
- Microsoft security checklists
- Top 50 Security Tools, according to the nmap-hackers mailing list
- Secure Unix programming FAQ
- "How to write secure code" links page
- Breaking security news
- BindViews Top Ten Windows 2000 Security Practices
NOVEMBER 5, 2001
Web resources:VULNERABILITY UPDATES
- Information Security Assessment Checklist: A Benchmarking Tool for Managers
- MIT Information Systems Computer Security Self-Assessment
- Central Queensland University IT Threat Risk Assessment
- University of Virginia Department of Computer Security Self-Assessment
- Laptop Computer Security
- HFNetChk, scans for vulnerabilities in Microsoft systems
- Linux automated update tool
- QualysGuard detection tools
eVALUATION: SECURITY AUDITORS
eWEEK Labs "5 Steps to Enterprise Security: Assessment" Special Report refers to an eValuation in which eWEEK Labs compared the approaches of several major security auditors. To read the eValuation, go to www.eweek.com/article/0,3658,s%253D710%2526a%253D10784,00.asp.REVIEW: HPS JORNADA 560
eWEEK Labs review of Toshiba America Inc.s Pocket PC e570 and Casio Computer Co. Ltd.s Cassiopeia BE-300 handheld devices ("Same OS, Nothing Else") found that the e570 includes the same suite of applications as Hewlett-Packard Co.s Jornada 560-series devices. For eWEEK Labs Sept. 10 review of the Jornada 560, go to /article/0,3658,s%253D701%2526a%253D14777,00.asp..NET MYSERVICES LICENSING TERMS
Microsoft Corp. has announced the first wave of pricing for its Web services, detailing a three-level pricing structure for developers that includes a fixed annual fee and a charge per application certified. For more details, go to www.eweek.com/article/0,3658,s%253D1884%2526a%253D17074,00.asp.
OCTOBER 29, 2001
WatchGuard Technologies Inc.s AppLock/Web makes it impossible to change or rename protected files on Web sites running on Microsoft Corp. servers and using the Internet Information Services Web server. For a review on AppLock/Web 1.01, go to www.eweek.com/article/0,3658,s%253D708%2526a%253D16475,00.asp.
READERS SPEAK OUT ON MICROSOFTS IIS
To get IT managers takes on administering Microsofts Internet Information Services server, go to www.eweek.com/article/0,3658,s%253D702%2526a%253D17279,00.asp.
In Scot Petersens Oct. 29 E-volution column, "Joining Forces for Security,*