Verizon Galaxy Nexus Delayed in Google Wallet Dispute

 
 
By Clint Boulton  |  Posted 2011-12-12 Email Print this article Print
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

VZW Android.png

With less than three weeks left in 2011, Android OEMs are racing to pump out the last of their smartphones and tablets for people like myself to review (and, they hope, for consumers to purchase for Christmas!).

The good news is I expect to get a Motorola Droid Xyboard 10.1 any day now after receiving a heads-up from Motorola's PR late Friday.

The bad news is I have no idea when I'll get the Samsung Galaxy Nexus Android 4.0 "Ice Cream Sandwich" phone from Verizon Wireless to test.

No idea. We'd all been reporting Dec. 8 or Dec. 9 as the launch date for the device.

Ideally, Verizon, Samsung and Google would want to get the phone out quick for the holiday season.

But then word came down last week that Google Wallet was blocked on the Galaxy Nexus, only that it wasn't technically. Apparently, it's some sort of major business disputer between Google and Verizon, which wants to support its own Isis platform on its phones next year.

Verizon spokesperson Jeffrey Nelson told eWEEK the reports that Verizon is blocking Google Wallet on the Galaxy Nexus are false. Rather, Verizon is engaged in ongoing commercial discussions on the matter because Google Wallet is different from other mobile commerce services. Nelson wrote:

Google Wallet does not simply access the operating system and basic hardware of our phones like thousands of other applications. Instead, in order to work as architected by Google, Google Wallet needs to be integrated into a new, secure and proprietary hardware element in our phones.

Google countered that Wallet is secure. This all went down Dec. 6. Remember how I said Dec. 8 or Dec. 9 were the prospective launch dates for the Galaxy Nexus? It's now Dec. 12, and no new phone.

Credit Phandroid for making the connection, through its Verizon sources, that the Wallet impasse between Verizon and Google is the reason for the phone's delay, which would push it to at least Dec. 15. Phandroid noted:

According to higher uppers in Verizon's chain of command, Google Wallet does not sit very well with Verizon. Especially when Big Red has already partnered up with ISIS to offer their own NFC mobile payment services. The conflict comes with Google wanting to keep their device largely "untouched" -- it is their flagship device after all -- and by Verizon demanding Google Wallet be removed, this is not only a disservice to their loyal customers but it could be borderline illegal if defined by a little something called "Net Neutrality" that we've reported on in the past.

This position hews closely to what Dan Frommer has been discussing on SplatF. I'm not sure how much of the blame goes to Google here because it seems like Verizon is being the fly in the pure Google ointment. Regardless, this is a huge blow to both companies, in my opinion. And poor Samsung!

Sure, there are people in the U.S. who are devout Nexus brand fans for whom nothing or no one will stop them from snapping up the new "pure Google" phone with abandon.

But releasing the phone so late before Dec. 25, otherwise known as Christmas, runs the risk of missing out on the on-the-fence consumers shopping for a generous holiday gift for family and friends.

Surely the companies know this and I'd hope they'd come to terms soon. A Galaxy Nexus without Wallet out of the gate, which is limited in partner scope anyway at this juncture, is better than no Galaxy Nexus at all for Christmas.

Just sayin'.

 
 
 
 
del.icio.us | digg.com
 
 
 
 
 

7 Comments for "Verizon Galaxy Nexus Delayed in Google Wallet Dispute"

  • Karen December 14, 2011 3:16 pm

    This company Goba is giving away an Galaxy Nexus to someone that tries their app this December: http://goba.co/win-a-phone. It should be out soon enough that you can get one for under the tree, unless they sell out. Good luck!

  • Indrid Cold December 12, 2011 4:46 pm

    The carriers need to spend more time and money worrying about their networks and less time worrying about what everyone else is doing. I like Verizon because of their network, NOT their bloatware. LEAVE THE DEVICES ALONE! They try to “sugar coat” this by telling us Google Wallet is not secure? Really? Well I'll tell you what... It will be my phone, that I purchased with my money, that belongs to me! I think I'll make those decisions thank you very much! There is a reason why so many people root their devices. Typical Verizon BS. Can you say CyanogenMod? This kind of behavior is the very reason why the FCC and DOJ shot down the AT&T/T-Mobile deal. It eliminates consumer options and stifles innovation. You suck Verizon! It's infuriating...

  • Steve December 12, 2011 12:21 pm

    Being a person in the electronic payment industry, I do know that the carriers intend to essentially become credit cards or banking solutions to those that end up using NFC. I think it's wrong for a wireless CELL PHONE provider to become a bank. But their greed is beyond compare. Rather than allowing you to select your NFC provider, like you could with a bank or credit union, they want to lock you in financially as well as contractually. And yes, of course they're going to take a cut of each transaction. Personally, I'll probably keep my NFC chip disabled. I don't need that kind of accidental liability accessible to anyone who happens to lift my phone. Then not only do they have my money, but I can't call my banks to stop the transactions because they have my phone too!

  • GH December 12, 2011 11:36 am

    i swear the amount of bloatware crap that vzw stuffs in their phones is enough to shop elswhere. just leave google wallet alone. if isis ends up being a better product vzw customers will use it instead. sounds to me like they'll be charging a fee for isis which means more revenue. why else would they fight google wllet this much?

  • Steve December 12, 2011 10:30 am

    This IS silly. MasterCard tried NFC years ago and it STILL hasn't taken off. There's really nowhere that NFC can be used yet, and I doubt it will be available at any acceptably useful level before the phone's lifespan expires. This fight is ridiculous. Big Red should just let the Nexus be a Nexus, and push their agendas on the other heavily "Red" contaminated phones. There's going to be plenty of them. Why do they feel they have the right to un-Nexus a Nexus? They're cutting themselves out of any future Nexus. Google's not going to forget this.

Leave a Comment

 
 
Google Ad
Manage your Newsletters: Login   Register My Newsletters























 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Rocket Fuel