Banks Back Under Attack by Claimed Hacktivists
A group claiming responsibility for prior attacks on financial institutions has begun DDoSing the networks of five major banks, this time without serious disruption, say researchers.
A second round of distributed denial-of-service attacks against financial institutions has not yet had the dramatic impact predicted by the attackers, likely because defenders have learned from previous attacks, security professionals said. On Dec. 18, the hacktivists known as the Izz ad-Din al-Qassam Cyber Fighters Group vowed to continue attacks begun last week aimed at overwhelming the Websites and network connections of five major U.S. banks: U.S. Bancorp, JP Morgan Chase, Bank of America, PNC Financial Services Group and SunTrust Banks. The group first started attacking financial institutions in September, claiming that the attacks would continue until a video that insulted the prophet Muhammad was taken down from YouTube. "The attacks will be persistent till eliminating injustice and stopping the insults to the prophet of mercy and removing the offensive film, and we are sure that we will reach to our goals," the group stated in a Pastebin post dated Dec. 18. "The attacks of this week will be as wide as previous week. The five major U.S. banks will be attacked and we subsequently suggest that from now on they prepare their context of sorrowfulness to the customers of banks because of inaccessibility." On the morning of Dec. 18, of the five banks, only Chase.com appeared to be inaccessible. For the most part, however, the attacks have not had their intended impact, said Dan Holden, director of the security engineering response team for network-security firm Arbor Networks. Refinements to defenses made since the last attacks have dealt with the packet floods and application attacks much more gracefully, he said.






















