What’s with all of this coverage about the UFO doodle on Google?
It’s tops on Google Blog Search Tech section Sunday. Twenty-eight blog posts on it! (soon to be 29):
Here are some of the stories:
- What’s Up With the Google Logo Unexplained Phenomenon? — Search Engine Watch
- Google ‘ufo’ logo is reality, not mystery — Denver UFO Examiner (for real!)
- Google celebrates the ‘Unexplained Phenomenon,’ but why? — The Inquisitr
- Google Doodle’s Mystery Revealed — Google Operating System (has “War of the Worlds” clip)
- Today’s Google ‘Unexplained Phenomenon’ Flying Saucer Logo — Search Engine Land (Danny suggests it’s leading to a birthday celebration of sorts)
Does this shed some light on a profound strategy from the leading search engine? Will it lead to anything other than the conclusion that people are fascinated by aliens and unexplained mysteries?
Maybe I’m not seeing this right, but honestly, who cares? I realize this is Google and I myself can write about features that seem like minutiae in the grand scheme of things … but this is a Google Doodle, for heaven’s sake!
OK, the fact that I capitalize Google Doodle (Google does) probably doesn’t do much for my argument. You might also argue I can’t complain about others’ minutiae when I cover some minutiae myself.
Fine, I’m not arguing anymore. Just had to vent. Hopefully, I’m providing a public service for all of you X-Files fans by aggregating the links, and hopefully the truth is out there somewhere.