Data protection and storage software maker Acronis has updated its backup and recovery platform with 170 improvements, including support for up to six hypervisors inside a single system.
Acronis Backup 12.5, which is available in both Standard and Advanced versions, has new functionality that supports more than 20 platforms, including Windows, Office 365, Azure, Linux, Mac OS X, Oracle, VMware, Hyper-v, Red Hat Virtualization, Linux KVM, Citrix XenServer, iOS and Android.
New features for Acronis’s Advanced version of Backup 12.5, released May 31, include:
- Unified web interface for the entire infrastructure;
- Admin roles and delegations for distributed infrastructures;
- Support for six hypervisors to provide migration platform options;
- Bare-metal recovery automation and remote boot media control to reduce RTO (recovery time objective) of remote site recovery;
- SAN (storage area network) snapshots to reduce hypervisor resource utilization;
- Oracle backup and granular recovery;
- Advanced tape support for increased granularity and simplified management;
- Advanced reporting for detailed insights and corporate compliance;
- Disaster recovery capability for emergency data recovery locally and in the cloud;
- Backup validation process ensures recoverability; and
- Acronis Notary to ensure the authenticity of data.
New features in both Advanced and Standard editions include:
- Customizable dashboards for insights into the backup infrastructure;
- Acronis Active Protection to stop ransomware attacks;
- Acronis Instant Restore for 15-second RTOs (recovery time objectives); and
- Acronis vmFlashback for incremental recovery of virtual machines.
New Generation of Data Protection
More than 500 Acronis engineers globally are engaged in the innovation and development of Acronis Backup 12.5 Standard and Advanced editions, CEO Sergei Beloussov said. As a result, Acronis added private and public cloud support for backing up and migrating workloads in addition to reliable cloud storage, Beloussov said.
The release delivers protection against ransomware with automated restoration of damaged data. Acronis Backup 12.5 also introduces new technology that enables users to verify the backup integrity before its restoration, improving regulatory compliance and data integrity with blockchain. Other features include:
- Backup of Amazon EC2 instances, Microsoft Azure VMs and Office 365 mailboxes;
- Acronis Active Protection to intelligently detect and block ransomware attacks, such as WannaCry, with instant restoration of any compromised data; and
- Acronis Notary to prove a file is authentic and unchanged since it was backed up.
Acronis Backup 12.5 allows businesses to start small with the Standard edition and scale to Advanced as required by their growing infrastructure, simply by changing license keys. This gives channel partners the flexibility to meet the needs of small and large businesses with the same product, Beloussov said.
Founded in 2003, Burlington, Vt.-based Acronis protects the data of more than 5 million consumers and 500,000 businesses in 150 countries and 20 languages.
For more information, go here.