Data storage giant EMC disclosed May 22 that it intends to focus a substantial amount of its resources on what it sees as a growing small and midsize business market in India.
The business plan includes the launch of a dozen hardware and software products specifically for the SMB market, the opening of new sales offices in Kolkata and Chennai along with a pair of customer support and logistics centers in Chennai and Hyderabad, and the augmentation of its channel-partner sales program, EMC spokesperson Jennifer Dreyer told eWEEK.
EMC, of Hopkinton, Mass., said it currently has about 200 SMB customers in India.
“India is one of the key strategic markets for EMC worldwide. It is also one of the fastest growing midtier information management and storage markets in Asia Pacific,” said Joel Schwartz, EMC senior vice president and general manager of the companys Midrange Systems Division.
Products launched include the new EMC Clarion UltraScale architecture and CX3 series of networked storage systems—its end-to-end 4G bps Fiber Channel SAN (storage area network), the company said.
“EMC is showing tremendous momentum in India,” said Manoj Chugh, president of EMC India. “Factors like the exploding volumes of information, globalization, the opening of new market opportunities, growing compliance complexities and limited IT budgets are compelling businesses to partner with [us].”
Chugh added that EMC is “focused on adding infrastructure—both in terms of offices, customer support and logistics centers—to cater to the growing demand.”
Highlights of the other EMC offerings for the India SMB market include:
- Celerra NS350 and EMC Celerra NS704: The Celerra NS350 storage system is capable of scaling to 10TB of capacity.
- Clarion Disk Library: A new entry-level Clarion DL210 model is designed for midsize enterprises and branch offices.
- Connectrix DS-4900B Fiber Channel SAN switch.
- Clarion AX150 and AX150i networked storage systems for SMBs.
- Retrospect 7.5, a new version of the EMC Retrospect for Windows backup and recovery software.
- Storage Administrator for Exchange, SMB Edition: Information management software that works with the EMC Clarion AX series to simplify management of Microsoft Exchange Server data.
- RepliStor SMB Edition: guards SMBs vital information against hardware failure or sitewide disaster.
- VisualSRM SMB Edition: presents a consolidated view of a companys storage and hosts automated policies to manage it.
- eRoom SMB Edition: provides a browser-accessed, highly secure collaborative workspace to share information, manage projects, and deliver products and services.