Storage Managers Worry List

By David Morgenstern  |  Posted 2006-11-28 Print this article Print

According to the Oct. 31 survey, compliance was not at the top of the problem list for most storage managers. Instead, 29 percent of responders said that "explosive" data growth (along with its consequences, shrinking backup windows and recovery worries) were the greatest concern.
Compliance didnt register as the No. 1 challenge by the 359 respondents, of whom 64 percent called themselves storage end users, with the rest equally divided among storage vendors and systems integrators.
Equal portions of 15 percent said the greatest challenges were dealing with internal corporate management issues and operational complexity. The management issues included trouble in securing enough budget allocation to storage, policy creation and deciding who owns what data. (This last bit was also the topic of an interesting session I attended at the recent Information and Data Quality Conference in San Francisco. But more on that in another column.) The "operational issues" spanned the ease of use for backup software, problems with management software in heterogeneous environments and the usual IT complaints of dealing with change, multiple OSes, coordination between departments and remote sites. Reading down the figures, I found it interesting that only 13 percent considered system reliability as the greatest challenge. This category included the stability of the backup platform, accurate reporting of backup errors and media quality. reported that "nearly half of all respondents had no storage outages over the past 12 months." Now, by my calculation, that means that more than half of them did have at least one storage outage over the past year. The silver lining was that of those respondents that had experienced an outage, some 65 percent said their RTOs (recovery time objectives) were met. As for the other 35 percent: Our sympathies. The holiday time is approaching. What kind of gift would a storage manager be happy to open? Let us know here. Check out eWEEK.coms for the latest news, reviews and analysis on enterprise and small business storage hardware and software.

David Morgenstern is Executive Editor/Special Projects of eWEEK. Previously, he served as the news editor of Ziff Davis Internet and editor for Ziff Davis' Storage Supersite.

In 'the days,' he was an award-winning editor with the heralded MacWEEK newsweekly as well as eMediaweekly, a trade publication for managers of professional digital content creation.

David has also worked on the vendor side of the industry, including companies offering professional displays and color-calibration technology, and Internet video.

He can be reached here.


Submit a Comment

Loading Comments...
Manage your Newsletters: Login   Register My Newsletters

Rocket Fuel