Mendocino Introduces Virtual Views of Production Data
In the event of a system disaster, IT managers now can dial back in time to up to one second before the problem happened to restore the system and save a company's data.Mendocino Software on Nov. 21 introduced InfiniView, a new software product that enables customers to create and use one or more data imagesor "virtual views"of current production data for a number of concurrently running functions. Those uses may include rapid application recovery, testing, development, data analytics, reporting, data staging or any off-host processing tasks where conventional copy technologies like backup and snapshots had previously been used, a company spokesperson said. Unlike traditional snapshot or point-in-time technology, InfiniViews virtual views do not require additional storage space, are not tied to a particular file system, volume manager, operating system, storage array, or application.
They can be instantly created and utilized by multiple servers or applications at the same timeall while remaining a self-contained function offered from within one or more standard, out-of-band appliances, the spokesperson said.
- Test environments: Current virtual views of production data, including application binaries and data, are used to perform patch validation prior to release into production.
- Development : Teams can develop and test their own code in progress against actual views of production data.
- Data analytics and reporting: Data warehouse and reporting environments can be more rapidly loaded with views of the most current production data. This enables an increased frequency of data warehouse refreshes by providing the flexibility to instantly create usable copies of production database data without impacting online business operations.
- Audit operations and compliance: Multiple views of the same time period, such as month-end financial data taken at a certain time, can be created, re-created and retained for audit or compliance reporting activities, where needed.
- Data staging: Off-host backup activities can run in the background without disrupting production applications and be managed automatically via InfiniView policies that first create the latest view of production data, then initiate third-party software to run a specific backup job or routine against that view.