PyCharm is aimed directly at Python, Django and Google App Engine developers. Django is an open source web application framework, written in Python, which follows the model-view-controller architectural pattern.
JetBrains said PyCharm features a smart code editor that understands the specifics of Python and provides productivity
Boosters including: automatic code formatting, code completion, refactorings, auto-import, one-click code navigation, and more. Moreover, with the addition of advanced code analysis routines as a foundation, these features make PyCharm a useful tool for of both professional Python developers and those who are just starting out with the technology, the company said.
Meanwhile, PyCharm 1.0 also provides the following key features:
- Advanced support for Django development - including smart code completion, inspections, refactorings and specific code navigation.
- Integrated Python Debugger and graphical unit test runner.
- Support for the modern Python development toolchain, including virtualenv and buildout.
- Version Control Systems integration - unified UI for most popular VCS such as Mercurial, Git, SVN, Perforce and CVS.
- Google App Engine support - allows running and deploying your applications to the App Engine server, while ensuring that the code meets the requirements of the sandbox environment.
- REPL and Django consoles - with many advantages over the standard ones: on-the-fly syntax check with inspections; braces and quotes matching and pairs autoinsertion; and code completion.