Dell Launches Removable Storage Drive for SMBs
New portable storage disk drive weighs about the same as a mobile phone but can carry 40GB to 120GB of data.Dell, trying to demonstrate some innovation in a sector where it seeks to pick up market share, introduced Nov. 8 a new removable disk-based storage device for data backup and restore that the company says combines the speed of a hard disk with the portability of tape. Aimed squarely small and midsize businesses, branch offices and individual power users, the PowerVault RD1000 is a removable disk drive designed for savvy business users, not IT professionals. They work specifically with Dell PowerEdge servers and Dell Precision workstations. The units range in capacity from a 40GB internal SATA version to a 120GB external USB version.
All units include the disk cartridge and backup and recover management software, a company spokesperson said.
- cartridges are available in 40GB, 80GB and 120GB capacities
- file transfers at about the same rate it takes to save to a regular PC drive, up to 34MB per second; much faster than backing up to standard tape, with no swapping out of media needed
- drag-and-drop file transfer
- customized software that helps users easily schedule and manage backups
- access time of less than 1 second versus 1 minute for tape (averages)
- local computer backupscritical data can be protected and archived quickly and easily
- data transfer from computer to computer or to remote branch offices
- off-site data protection and archiving for small and medium-sized organizations, relationship workgroups and branch offices
- disaster recovery for customers wanting the familiarity of directly connected, "plug-and-play" USB hard drive backup