The laws of supply and demand are in full effect.
Despite there being a slight gain in technology consulting jobs according to government data, the latest Dice Report for June is not a pretty picture. Dice is a technology job board that is used by many technology recruiters, hiring managers and general techie workers looking for employment opportunities.
If you thought getting a new gig in 2009 was going to be easy, think again.
Here's the gist:
- Time to fill open positions is at a snail's pace
- Big uptick in people looking for work
- Tech unemployment is up at 4.9 percent
- Those getting hired are seeing similar or lower salaries than last year
- More layoffs are expected
Not sure the logic there is totally sound, but I understand the inclination to give something positive in the report. IT has been through recessions before and will come back. However, it's hard to see it now for the rest of 2009.
Let's hope it gets a little better.