eWEEK is building a new IT products and services section that encompasses most of the categories that we cover on our site. In it, we will spotlight the leaders in each sector, which include enterprise software, hardware, security, on-premises-based systems and cloud services. We also will add promising new companies as they come into the market.
Today: Bricata (network security)
Company description: Founded in 2014, Bricata has become a leader in comprehensive network protection. The Bricata flagship solution provides high-end network visibility, full-spectrum threat detection, true threat hunting and post-detection capabilities in an intuitive, tightly-integrated and self-managing system. Its automated detection, productive GUIs and expert system workflows make it easy to use for novices. Granular control of its engines, access to rich network metadata and PCAPs and true threat-hunting capabilities give experts the power and control they demand. Bricata has been proven to speed incident resolution by reliably detecting threats and providing the context necessary to get to the truth quickly and act.
Headquarters: 9250 Bendix Road North #760 Columbia, MD 21045
Bricata is a privately held, venture-backed company. It secured an $8 million growth round led by Edison Partners in 2017 and an investment and development agreement with In-Q-Tel, the strategic investor that accelerates the development and delivery of cutting-edge technologies to U.S. government agencies. The Chief Executive Officer is John Trauth.
- Network security
- Threat detection and prevention
- Threat hunting
Product and Services
The Bricata name is applied to both the company and the solution. You may see “ProAccel” in some previous customer reviews online; however, the company dropped that product naming convention even as it has continued to build out and evolve the product.
The Bricata solution delivers four capabilities as a single, tightly-integrated, self-managing system that provides comprehensive network protection:
- Network Visibility: Bricata lets you see everything that transpires on your network via high-fidelity metadata and SmartPCAP.
- Full-Spectrum Threat Detection: Bricata optimizes detection and minimizes false positives by employing multiple threat detection concurrently techniques, to include signature detection, stateful anomaly detection, and artificial intelligence.
- True Threat Hunting: Bricata empowers you to thoroughly investigate detected threats and to hunt unknown threats that didn’t generate an alert.
- Post-Detection Actions: Bricata stops threats on the network and generates required inputs to your downstream remediation tools.
- Bricata supports an open integration and open APIs that allow security analysts to share date collected with other security tools and vice versa.
- Integration is related to security intelligence because with Bricata it’s bi-directional. While the Bricata solution comes with a global threat intelligence feed, customers may choose to use a different source for their specific needs.
Insight and Analysis
Gartner Peer Reviews had one review as of Feb. 20, 2019. Highlights from a professional user:
Overall Comment: "Being a newly deployed public offering, we understand and expect growing pains from a newly formed product. With that said, we appreciate the ability to suggest enhancements and roadmap direction on existing and new features and functions.
What do you like most about the product or service? "The ability to run as a smaller nimble company rather than a large corporation."
What do you dislike most about the product or service? "The rack mounting options for the product."
Would you recommend this product or service to others? "Yes."
G2 Crowd had one review as of Feb. 20, 2019: Highlights:
What do you like best? "This system has upgraded recently and with it came new features. The upgraded Central Management Console which I use for viewing alerts and forwarding logs. This software offers a better combat dynamic which changes in the threat environment. It does a great job for identifying, detecting, blocking, reporting and removing threats, intrusions, malware and malicious attacks on computers."
What do you dislike? "There isn’t much that I don’t like about this security system. The platform could be better but they keep improving it. It works as well as other well-known network intrusion prevention security systems. Their perimeter defense is good but can work on being great."
[Editor's note: eWEEK is in the process of researching more evaluations of Bricata. Additional insight is needed before an aggregate evaluation can be tendered.]
List of current customers: Given the sensitive nature of cybersecurity, Bricata said its customers do not permit public references.
Bricata has enterprise customers that span the following categories:
- Financial services
- Health care
- Retail and e-commerce
- Telecom / network service providers
Delivery: The Bricata platform is available both as a physical appliance and virtual image that can be deployed across on-premises, cloud and hybrid environments. The central management console (CMC) can be delivered on-premises or in the cloud.
Pricing: Contact email@example.com for pricing information.
Other key players in this market:
- Palo Alto Networks
- Alien Vault (AT&T)
- Security Onion