Disaster Recovery: Best Practices
- Know your data: The importance of data—and the tolerance for its unavailability—should determine the level of protection applied.
- Run data volume restoration tests often to ensure backup integrity.
- Run full systems restoration tests on at least a quarterly basis, evaluating recovery speeds and procedures.
- To ensure backward and forward compatibility, buy technology from companies with proven track records and clear product road maps.
- If you havent already, plan to centralize backup. Doing so will reduce management overhead and leverage shared devices such as tape libraries.