Unifi Software, which has joined a new group of companies (including Delphix and Actifio) in the "data-as-a-service" platform business, on Sept. 6 launched a new suite of data management features for its frontline product.
Last month, the San Mateo, Calif.-based company unveiled a cloud service that monitors all data assets in real time. The new tool suite, Unifi Version 2.0, works in concert with it.
Unifi 2.0's central data management control features compliance analytics, audience analytics, sales micro-targeting, marketing analytics, ERP consolidation and real-time e-commerce shopping-cart abandonment reduction, the company said. Any or all of these can be accessed at any time by authorized employees.
Security-wise, any financial institution’s data security and compliance officers can use Unifi’s new RegAlert real-time monitoring feature to prevent unauthorized users from accessing PII (personally identifiable information) data, which will soon fall under the European Union’s GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) mandate, which is expected to go into force in late 2018.
Stricter EU Data Security Regulations Coming Next Year
Many companies are either unfamiliar with the compliance requirements or the increased potential for breach inside their organizations. For any enterprise, the fines for being unprepared are stiff—up to 4 percent of annual global revenue or €20M, whichever is greater.
Unifi Software's Compliance Data Hub with RegAlert provides real-time monitoring of all data in use. If any user attempts to access data with GDPR attributes, RegAlert immediately blocks the data set from further use and notifies the person of the potential regulatory infringement. The data steward is also notified and they can ascertain, through Unifi, who is trying to access it and then grant them either unconditional or restricted access.
Data stewards and compliance officers can apply access permissions, or data masking at the row or column level, to secure these assets for use by authorized users, the company said.
Key features in Unifi 2.0:
- a single integrated console, where for the first time an enterprise can search and discover all its data assets as well as apply authorizations to enable self-service discovery;
- the ability to expose the lineage of how a metric or data set was derived, which gives users of the platform confidence that all outcomes can be traced back to their origin for confirmation and validation;
- the ability for a company to capture the true ontology of source data through a robust Metadata Business Glossary, which can integrate with any existing third-party solution for metadata capture and instantiation;
- collaborative commenting alongside a scoring engine that provides a reliability and quality index to enable business users to confidently leverage data for analysis; and
- an AI-powered recommendation engine that generates a series of OneClick functions and links to enrich the downstream analysis.
Unifi 2.0 also uses an iterative analytic process, which allows a user the ability to version and tag various actions. Users can easily go back and forth between various states to compare actions, empowering them to experiment and test out a hypothesis.
The platform has support for both MapReduce and Spark for execution engines for data preparation. Unifi’s Cost Based Optimizer enables the platform to choose the right execution engine based on the required tasks at hand.
For more information, go here.