Google plans to test internally a new Google News prototype, push more Google Pack downloads for novice users and sell over $1 billion in advertising inventory, according to leaked internal documents.
The two documents — titled “Big Goals and Directions” and “Objectives and Key Results – Q3 2006 Company OKRs” — reveal several internal goals and benchmarks for Google’s search and advertising projects.
Among Google’s biggest goals:
- improving infrastructure to make engineers more productive
- create a universal search tool for employees that contains “all public Google information searched on all Google searches”
- create the world’s top AI laboratory
- get rid of spam in the top 20 languages
- push more Google Pack downloads, 60 million of which have been downloaded so far, according to the documents
- internally test a Google News prototype that will allow “other news sources, and organizations and individuals mentioned in news stories to debate specific points”
- create a time-based search function that reveals results on a “timeline of map.”
Also making an appearance in the documents is Sergey’s “Features Not Products” campaign, which is reiterated via the simple directive “Count total number of Google products and reduce by 20%.