Company description: Founded in 2002 by CEO Andre Durand, Ping Identity is headquartered in Denver, Colo. Ping Identity’s mission is to simplify how enterprises provide secure and seamless digital experiences. Ping focuses on simplifying how the world’s largest organizations prevent security breaches. Its solutions are designed to help increase user productivity and provide personalized customer experiences.
Ping’s Intelligent Identity Platform provides customers, employees and partners with intelligent access to cloud, mobile, SaaS and on-premises applications and APIs, while also managing identity and profile data at scale. Enterprises choose Ping for its identity expertise, open standards leadership and partnership with companies like Microsoft, Amazon and Google, and collaboration with over half of the Fortune 100 as customers. Ping provides enterprises with many flexible options to add multi-factor authentication, single sign-on, access management, intelligent API security, directory and data governance capabilities to their digital business initiatives.
The Ping Identity Platform allows enterprises and their users to securely access cloud, mobile and on-premises applications while managing identity and profile data at scale. Architects and developers have flexible options to enhance and extend their existing applications and environments with multi-factor authentication, single sign-on, access management, directory and data governance capabilities. Now with PingIntelligence for APIs, Ping can help secure APIs, a platform that Gartner predicts will be “the most-frequent attack vector resulting in data breaches for enterprise web applications by 2022.”
Markets: Cybersecurity, identity access management (IAM), API security
Product and Services
- The Ping Identity Platform is a comprehensive suite of products that deliver seamless and secure access to all applications, including PingID, PingFederate, PingOne, PingAccess, PingDirectory, PingDataGovernance and its newest solution, PingIntelligence for APIs.
- PingID enables adaptive, cloud delivered mobile and token-based multi-factor authentication—MFA that applies the right level of security through the use of a mobile app, Apple Watch, Yubikey, SMS, email, voice call, and other biometric channels.
- PingFederate offers single sign-on (SSO), identity federation, adaptive authentication policies and and provisioning for enterprises, with out-of-the-box registration and self-service profile management capabilities for customer identity use cases.
- PingOne has been recognized by KuppingerCole as a leading IDaaS platform that enables companies to store identities and deliver secure cloud SSO with bridges to support enterprise hybrid IT environments.
- PingAccess supports web and API access management using contextual, role. and attribute-based policies allowing granular access control for any application.
- PingDirectory manages millions of identities and billions of attributes at extreme scale—both on-prem and in the cloud—by enabling the secure storage and management of data to drive multichannel customer engagement.
- PingDataGovernance governs access to data with centralized policy controls and secure REST APIs, as well as features for delegated account administration.
- PingIntelligence for APIs is an AI-powered solution that provides the ability to identify and block cyberattacks that target APIs to compromise data and systems.
Insight and Analysis
What do you like best? “I think it is really easy to use, I remember that setting PingID for the first time on my phone was very, very easy. I've never really had any issues with it. I really like the option of using a manual code if or when your mobile device doesn't have access to a network (very helpful when trying to connect on airplanes and your phone doesn't have service).”
What do you dislike? “Changing to a new device is such a hassle. It took me about two days to finally do it, and I had to reach out to our IT department for help. The issue might have been that I didn't disable my old device first, however it was not an easy process and it ended up causing issues with other applications that use PingID (like VPN for example).”
Recommendations to others considering the product: “As a user I think it is very easy to use - unsure how it is for an administrator.”
What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized? “Helps with account protection, especially helpful to avoid account takeovers.”
Overall Comment from a security admin: “We haven't found a single bug for most of the three years we have worked with the product.”
If you could start over, what would your organization do differently? “We would have still chosen PingFederate and PingAccess as the foundation for our Federation Hub Multitenant SaaS, but we would have asked for better multi-tenant support.”
What one piece of advice would you give other prospective customers? “Leverage the recently added REST APIs instead of the old ConnectionMigration APIs for the programmatic configuration. The biggest limitation that we have run with the product is that it only allows to have one connection with a given EntityId. This prevents us to federate the product more than once with a given Identity Provider.”
List of current customers:
- Chevron, Allegiant, NextCapital, Intuit, Applied Materials
Delivery: Software as a service (SaaS)
Pricing: Please email email@example.com
Other key players in this market:
- Duo Security (now part of Cisco)
Contact information for potential customers: (email, website, phone number or all)