Data protection management software maker Bocada on Nov. 1 released upgrades to its Prism platform that include improved reporting on trending analysis and enhanced performance for rendering reports on large-scale data sets.
Bocada, which created the Data Protection Service Management (DPSM) model, developed its Prism product to serve as a purpose-built storage platform that intuitively helps users get through the multi-phase DPSM process.
Prism is designed expressly for backup service providers, MSPs and SAAS vendors, as well as user organizations focused on delivering reliable data protection services to internal or external customers.
Prism supports a range of backup applications that include IBM, Symantec NetBackup, BackupExec, PureDisk, EMC Networker, Avamar, HP DataProtector, CA BrightStor, Commvault Galaxy, Syncsort, and Microsoft DPM 2010.
One of the essential steps in the DPSM process is policy analysis, which requires the ability to see the impact of system policy changes via trend reports.
Bocada Prism R2 adds five new trending reports which help enterprises better understand data protection activity over a window of time, CEO Nancy Hurley told eWEEK.
“Trending reports are essential for determining if the operation is running as expected, and to highlight if there are changes that must be made in order to help meet backup windows or reduce costs by eliminating excess storage use,” Hurley said.
New reports covered in the R2 edition, according to Bocada, are:
- Backup Trends, which enable users to view the amount of data being backed up during a given time period, which is instrumental for policy management, load balancing and storage planning;
- Backup Duration Trends, which address the management of backup windows, allowing users to compare their static backup window with backup duration trends;
- Media Usage Trends, which allow users to analyze the impact of backup trends on their media volumes over time;
- Occupancy Trends, which show how overall storage changes over time, enabling users to predict future storage needs;
- Error Trends, which enable backup administrators to see error count trending, helping to identify chronic problems and quickly identify which error types are the biggest offenders
“Standardizing on the DPSM process allows IT organizations to realize several benefits including streamlined operations, reduced TCO, and improvements in customer satisfaction,” Enterprise Strategy Group Senior Analyst Lauren Whitehouse said. “Bocada Prism is a step above simple backup reporting tools.”