According to platforms group VP Jim Allchin, Microsoft .Net will involve these five components:
1. Communications standards: Core underpinnings, like XML and SOAP, that advance Internet communications
2. Meta-Internet services: These Hailstorm services will link people more easily to information and other online users, Microsoft claims; critics have privacy concerns about these services
3. Microsoft development tools: For partners to write additional .Net services
4. Windows: All Microsoft clients and servers will support .Net standards
5. Free and fee-based services: Microsoft will build its own services that leverage .Net
Were not suggesting that .Net will rule the world. Most of these components are largely vaporware at present, and lots of technical details remain unresolved.